These blogs never seem to work out too much for me. I always have so much to say, yet I never know how to say any of it. I start sentences only to delete and start over on a completely different topic. I guess it's the fact that I have an audience on a Web-based blog, while in a handwritten journal I need not to consider an audience while writing. In a journal I write for myself, while I seem to have some mindset that in this type of blog, I need to say something remarkable! But why? Why, Alison?
I recently had an epiphany, thanks to my Psychology classes and a Beth Moore simulcast at church - my entire life I've let all my little insecurities dictate almost everything that I do. Things I've said, the way I held myself, who I interacted with, what I did and did not do, were all guided by a little friend called Insecurity. What a bully. No longer will I let him get in the way of anything that God has for me. So I am currently in the process of deleting Insecurity from my friends list. I completed step one which was to identify that he is, in fact, my friend. My next step is to find where he is, and after that, I must delete him. (Oh, and he might be a mutual friend of ours, dear reader, so watch out.)
So, in relation to a blog, I've realized that I oftentimes say and do not say certain things in a blog solely because of the potential audience I could have. Well no longer will I waste time worrying about that. This blog is by me, and I will hold nothing that I want to say back. John Mayer says to say what you mean to say, right? Yes sir, I will say what I mean to say.
3 comments:
Oh dear. After posting this, I searched John Mayer's "Say" and I realized that the lyrics are "say what you need to say." Silly me. It can still apply, however.
ALISON BELL, I loooove you. I laughed out loud at your comment too. And your entry is so ironic to me because I've been writing about "blog anxiety" -- I have the same problem, I get really worked up about what I write and whether or not I feel comfortable sending it out there. Your entry was superb and sums it up perfectly and I, too, must sometimes battle Insecurity and I'm ready for him to be gone, as well. I like the way you think.
I honestly think we all have the same blog anxiety problem, but I can assure both of you I admire your blogs immensely! I like the way BOTH of you think! :)
Post a Comment