Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Some things I'm thankful for...

God has opened my eyes lately to some things I should be thankful for ....

1. The size of the country I live in. When I went to visit my friend on a small island, I realized how easy I have it to be able to get in a car and drive for an hour and completely get away from home and go somewhere new. Whereas, in some places, like on that island, I could be confined to a small area, and if I wanted to get away, I had to go to extra measures. However, I'm blessed with the simple fact that my country is so large that I could travel all over pretty easily with just a car. AND not everyone in my town knows me. Which can be bittersweet; in this case, it's sweet. :)

2. An umbrella. And four walls to retreat to whenever it rains. And dry clothes. Last night I went around Atlanta with some amazing people (from 7 Bridges)and visited a lot of homeless people at their self-constructed "homes" under bridges and in wooded areas. One lady we visited with had a large tent constructed for herself and her family and some others in a wooded area, and during our time with her she talked about Tuesday's rain and how it soaked everything in her home. She has a lot of clothes hung up on a clothesline to dry, but even yesterday's sun didn't dry the clothes. She was wearing a shirt that was wet but because it was so cold outside, she just layered to make up for the chill of a wet shirt. God, may I never forget to pray for the homeless on the rainy days. *note to self, bring umbrellas next time I go out with 7 Bridges.

3. Easy access to warmth. I have always loved the wintertime. I love everything about it -- I love scarves and boots and pea coats and layering. I love warming by the fire, drinking hot chocolate and hot tea, and campfires. I love the snow (the one time a year it snows here). I love the wintertime's holidays - my birthday (it's a holiday in my world!), Thanksgiving (favorite), Christmas, and New Year's Eve and Day. I love bundling under the sheets of my bed in a cold room. I love the smells associated with it - cinnamon, crisp air, evergreens, pine, pumpkin spice, cedar, and smoke from a fireplace. I love that I don't have to use the AC in the car. And finally, all of my life I have been a student, so the wintertime means new beginnings for me - a new school year, a new year-year, and a new semester, filled with many new people and many changes. And I love all of that. Basically, I love wintertime. So whenever anyone complains about the season, I have not completely understood. However, after walking the streets with the homeless last night, I understand a little bit more. I understand how wintertime can bring misery, despair, cold, sickness, and sleepless nights. It can be a living nightmare for some, in a sense. Almost every reason I listed for loving wintertime required a wealth of material possessions. A wealth of material possessions that most don't have. I know that the homeless we visited appreciate 7 Bridges and their consistent visitations and provision of lunches, love, and prayer.... but this last night, many approached us asking for sleeping bags, blankets, gloves, and socks that weren't wet (because of the rain). Next time I go out with 7 Bridges, I'll be sure to bring at least some of these things and more, like tissues and books. But at this moment, I am very thankful for my warm bed that I slept in within 4 closed walls. I am blessed.

No comments: