Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Top 5 Destressors

I decided to make a list of my Top 5 Destressors. I always find myself doing these things to relax.

1. Go for a run. Ironically, running helps me to relax, no matter how in-shape I am. However, I prefer running on a treadmill -- there's something about being on a treadmill that gives me a sense of control and a sense of temporal isolation from the rest of the world. I love it. So, if a treadmill and a good pair of running shoes are near, then I will almost always choose this outlet for relaxation. But almost always there is not a treadmill nearby, and I don't like running outside, so I almost always have to result to one of the following:

2. Go for a walk in nature. There's just something about being out in nature. I find that these walks are always rejuvenating, refreshing, and enlightening. It's on these walks that my soul finds rest in the complex yet simple beauty of nature, and I can't help but take in the moment and smile with God. =)

3. Find new music. This is always fun because my music taste is so diverse. Normally I search through iTunes. But I also find new music many other ways. Right now I have the cable on and I've been flipping through the Pop Latino, Tropicales, Musica Urbana, Singers & Swing, Easy Listening, and Reggae channels. That's just my mood for the day; the other day I got really into the African Music channel. ha. I'll also resort to the lovely Pandora or I'll listen to some online music stations, especially Bollywood, and European stations. American music tends to bore me... ha. Okay anyway....

4. Play the piano. Normally this just means I'll practice playing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata or "My Immortal" by Evanescence. I've realized that I know next to nothing about playing the piano. But I do know a few finger exercises, and I know how to read sheet music and what keys to strike accordingly. I hope to take lessons again one day.

5. Journal. I don't do this as much as I'd like, but when I do, it's definitely relaxing and liberating. It's nice getting everything out of your mind and onto paper so that you don't have to try to remember it for later. And there's nothing like the feeling of finishing a journal and moving onto a new one. (Top 10 feeling!)